11/27/09

Copenhagen DAY 1 experience



November 21, 2009

After 8 hours of waiting for the delayed flight to depart for CPH, $150 worth of overweight luggage, and 40 hours or so of no sleep, I am in Copenhagen. Finally, after months of exchanging emails, I meet my host from New Life Copenhagen, Ann Sofi Benzton who greets me at the CPH Airport. Since I was packing for a Eurotrip/COP15/Philippine vacation, I had two luggages, each weighing 70 pounds, that Ann had to help me carry four flights of stairs with to her apartment (and of course, that is just the perfect way to greet a gracious host whom I had never met and letting me stay in her home with). Ann was absolutely welcoming and accommodating. As we start chatting in her living room, I find out about her interest in helping women in developing countries and about the volunteer work she did in Kenya teaching English for six months. She shows me an article from a local newspaper that was written about her offering her home to someone attending the COP15 conference. She is apparently the only one from Ishøj, Denmark who is doing so. She teaches me how to pronounce her city properly, since I am quite ignorant with the Danish alphabet. “Is-shoj,” she tells me with a smile.

An article from Vestegnen, a local Danish Newspaper, on Ann Benzton on her New Life Copenhagen experience. Of course, since it is in DANISH the only thing I understand is my Name, and now, Ishøj.

No comments:

Post a Comment