1/26/14

Rebuilding Haiyan-hit Elementary School and Planting Trees with Family

Every year, since 2009, my family plants trees in our grandparents farm in Barili to celebrate the new year. Look how much they've grown!

This year, we also visited Malapascua, an island leveled out by Typhoon Haiyan. When I visited Malapascua to do relief work with friends from NYC a month after Haiyan had hit, we visited an elementary school which was destroyed by Haiyan. Two of six classrooms were destroyed, and most of the classrooms' roofing had holes. The North Guimbatayan elementary school was not receiving any help at the time- and children were not studying in the safest conditions. I came home and told my family. My family and I visited the school two days after Christmas. Inspired by Bundles of Joy and Letters of Hope, we brought bundles of Joy for all the children in school. These eco-friendly bags  had school supplies, crayons, notebooks, books, and hygiene kits. We also helped rebuild the school.

Helping others and making a difference are the best memories I will have with my family.

“For it matters not how small the beginning may seem to be: what is once well done is done forever...”
 Henry David Thoreau

















































































































































No comments:

Post a Comment