10/9/09

Obama wins 2009 Nobel Peace Prize

The Norwegian Nobel Commitee awards President Obama  the 2009 Nobel Peace Prize for strengthening "international diplomacy & cooperation between peoples. Obama will donate roughly $1.4 million award to charity, White House says















    President Obama comments on winning the 2009 Nobel Peace Prize in the Rose Garden of the White House in Washington, Oct. 9, 2009.(Jim Young/Reuters)

    "I am both surprised and deeply humbled by the decision of the Nobel committee. Let me be clear, I do not view it as a recognition of my own accomplishments, but rather of an affirmation of American leadership on behalf of aspirations held by people of all nations. To be honest, I do not feel I deserve to be in the company of so many of the transformative figures who’ve been honored by this prize. Men and women who have inspired me and inspired the entire world through their courageous pursuit of peace. But I also know that this prize reflects the kind of world that those men and women and all Americans want to build, a world that gives life to the promise of our founding documents. And I know throughout history that the Nobel Peace Prize has not been given for specific achievement, it’s also been used to give momentum to a set of causes. So that is why I will accept this award as a call to action."

    - President Barack Obama speech

     “Thanks to Obama's initiative, the USA is now playing a more constructive role in meeting the great climatic challenges the world is confronting.” 

    - The Norwegian Nobel Committee recognized Obama’s change of US climate policy

    No comments:

    Post a Comment