8/5/10

Message from a UN Ambassador




My name is Esperanza Concepcion Garcia, I am 23 years old, I am following my passion and I am living my dream.

Yesterday, I somehow was chosen to be moderator at the 7th Annual Youth Assembly at the UN Headquarters (http://faf.org/unyouthassembly/program.htm). The people who spoke whilst moderating were all globally recognized brilliant change-makers making a difference in the world, and it was such an honor to have each and everyone of them. 

On my way to the UN before I spoke, I was extremely nervous, I wasn't too confident because I wasn't in my best shape. I had gone almost a week with little/no sleep. I was so busy with everyone else, that I didn't realize I didn't have a script and only had the chance to prepare the script the night before- also with no sleep. I couldn’t even make it to the only/final rehearsal because I had lost my voice and was ridiculously sick all of last week. 


When I got home tonight, I received this voicemail, from an Ambassador of the United Nations…..


  

“Hi Ms. Garcia I am an ambassador of the United Nations. I just want to say what a phenomenal speech you did today. Quite impressed with your heartfelt expressions of how to motivate the youth of today and to end poverty. God bless you. Hello, I am the Ambassador of (???????????) actually.... just wanted to see how you did. Congratulations.”

At first I thought, is this real?!?!?!?!(I am extremely embarrassed but I am hoping you can help in figuring out the country that the Ambassador had mentioned. Unfortunately, after playing this over, I am unable to determine the country.)

What an honor. I have been so blessed recently, with extremely supportive family and friends, and living a life that I can only dream of having.  I am a  young person, just like yourself, who happens to be lucky enough to be able to follow and live my passion.  I am speechless still...

 

No comments:

Post a Comment